Thursday, 1 June 2017

Life: May Round-Up

Another month over. Time to make my usual comment about time flying by but this month has felt extra-speedy. My parents came to visit and then returned to cooler climes and events at home (both happy and heartbreakingly bloody awful) made me feel, for the first time since moving to Dubai, far away from life as I used to know it. 

The weather here has turned from summery to "sweat profusely while sitting in the shade next to a fan" and it's not even our "summer" yet. I am already looking forward to dusting off my winter coat for my "London holiday' in July. 


1. A little slice of hippie paradise at Life n'One in Jumeriah. This chilled out spot is right up my street in a city which sometimes feels a little too slick to be real. This is an acai bowl, the first time I have had one - I felt very #wellness eating it but think I prefer avocado toast.

2. The scrawl-covered Boxpark sign has been painted over and looks a little stark.

3. I visited the Jumeriah Mosque which is the only one in Dubai that tourists can take a look inside of. It's only ~£4 to visit which includes breakfast, a chance to dress in traditional Arabic clothing and a brief introduction to Islam (which I mostly knew as a dual-culture kiddo but still glad I visited).

4. Work socials are an unavoidable awkwardness of being an adult but it turns out that when they are held at Nikki Beach they are actually more enjoyable then when held at All Bar One.

5. On the roof at Raffles - I took my parents to the aperitivo at Solo Bar, two cocktails and unlimited Italian antipasti for ~£25 each makes it good value in any city. The courgette fritto was delicious and our waiter super friendly. 

6. Back at our favourite, Le Royal Meridian Beach Resort. Felt pretty special that some of the staff remembered us from holidays past.  

7. Taking Conor Oberst to the pool. I'm seeing him for the 7th (or maybe 8th) time in August in London and am as excited as when I was 17. 

8. Befriending the cats at Le Royal Meridian. I carry Dreamies in my handbag for these occasions. There are few things that I look at in such an adoring manner. 

9. Taking an Insta-ponce sunset on the beach photo, soaking up the last of the day's heat and my "staycation" of sorts. 

June will be a little quieter, Ramadan started on Saturday (Ramadan Mubarak!) and has quite a big effect on day to day life here e.g. no eating or drinking in public during daylight hours but fasting is just one aspect of the holy month. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about my new country's culture and attending my first Iftar meal. I also offered to host my bookclub's next meeting so I'd better stop looking at cats do adopt and do some reading... 
Share:

5 comments

  1. Looks like you've had an amazing May! Sophie x

    sophiehmstewart.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a nice time! If you don't mind me asking, how did you come to live in Dubai? I've never been and I'm fascinated by what I've heard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is actually a post on this coming - just need to encourage it out of my drafts folder as I've been meaning to post it for a while!

      Delete
  3. Ahh sounds fantastic! Not sure about the heat, but the sunshine does look dreamy.
    Can you not eat out in restaurants during Ramadan at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heat sounds tough!
    Ah, acai bowls! We had some of these on holiday in Hawaii and they were just the best breakfast in the heat (and so filling so we didn't need lunch either!).

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig