Friday, 16 June 2017

Recipe: Vietnamese Summer Salad Boats



I think this recipe might be on repeat all summer, it's so fresh and tasty and takes ten minutes to make. Wing Yip sent me a hamper of Asian ingredients for Healthy Eating Week and I took inspiration from my favourite Vietnamese summer rolls which are full of colour and flavour but are super light. 

Using lettuce boats takes away any fiddly rice-paper rolling (because I do not have the skills for that). This would be perfect for a summer weekend lunch or as a sharing dish at a BBQ. I've made mine vegan but you could add cooked shrimps to the mix or add in some rice noodles to mix up the textures and make it a more substantial dish. Any crunchy vegetables would work - I love pineapple in savoury dishes, I definitely felt like I should have been eating this on a beach rather than in front of a rather gory episode of Orange Is The New Black.


Ingredients:

1 head of little gem lettuce
Filling - small handful of bean sprouts, grated carrot, finely chopped cabbage, half a chopped red pepper, small handful of pineapple chunks
Garnish - chopped fresh coriander, unsalted peanuts, chilli and ginger (optional)
Sauce - Mushroom Sauce, soy sauce, chilli sauce (optional)


Method:

Throw the fillings into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the sauces - make it as hot as you want (the hotter the better IMO). Pour the sauce over the veg and leave for a few minutes. Fill up the lettuce boats and sprinkle the coriander and chopped peanuts over the top before tucking in.


What's your favourite light summer meal?


Share:

5 comments

  1. This looks so yummy! xx

    www.taintedblues.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so fresh and summery. I like a goats cheese salad with lots of beetroot and lentils, and some balsamic dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delish - I'm going to try subbing the pineapple for mango!

    NINEGRANDSTUDENT: A Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm they look delicious! I'm still a fan of the rice paper rolls, but have never dared to try it out myself... Tbh summer meals are the same as any other season because I love hot meals (haha) and when I was home I had hot noodles 3x a time and I still loved it!

    Cherie ✿ sinonym

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sound of these. I'm all about the filling so these are perfect for me - I'd load them up with chicken or prawns personally but everything else would be the same. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ comments. Questions? It's probably easier to Tweet me (@LilyLippy) as I'll reply faster.

© Lily Lipstick | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig